6th November 2019
PEANUT BUTTER & 5 SPICE AUBERGINE
Originally Posted on
6th November 2019
Spice up your winter, with this tasty recipe.
- Juice & zest of a lime
- 2 tsps agave or honey
- 1 tsp Chinese 5 Spice powder
- 2 tbsps Whole Earth 100% Peanuts Smooth Peanut Butter
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- Small thumb ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and grated
- 2 aubergines
- 200g basmati rice, soaked in cold water for 30 mins
- Small bunch of spring onions, white and green parts finely sliced
- Half a bunch of mint, finely sliced
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Whisk all the ingredients except the aubergines together in a small bowl until combined.
- Slice the aubergines in half lengthways and score them in a criss-cross pattern without going right through to the skin (0.5cm is plenty). Place the aubergines cut side up in a medium roasting tray so that they’re snug and spoon over half the peanut sauce. Set aside to marinade for at least half an hour, or keep covered in the fridge for up to 12 hours for a more intense flavour.
- Preheat the oven to 220C. Place the aubergines (uncovered now) on the middle shelf in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes before removing and spooning over the remaining sauce. Cover with kitchen foil and return to the oven for 15 minutes more.
- While the aubergine is in the oven, drain the rice in a sieve and rinse thoroughly. Place in a saucepan with a lid with 350ml fresh water, and any or all of the optional flavourings above. Cover with the lid and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for a further 8 minutes. Turn off the heat (leave the lid on), and let sit for 5 minutes before fluffing up with a fork.
- Serve the rice in warm bowls, slice the aubergine halves into 6 pieces each and arrange on top of the rice. Top with the spring onions and mint and serve straight away.